Fellow community members and well-wishers,
Here’s some great news for our community. The African Diaspora Association of the Maritimes (ADAM) is sponsoring 35 refugees from various countries in Africa through the Blended Visa Office Referral (BVOR) program.
All these refugees will arrive here before the end of 2018. It is a big project ADAM has taken on, knowing that the community will backup and support our brothers and sisters who have been waiting for this opportunity for decades. Regardless of where they are coming from, it’s our responsibility to help them because they are our people.
We do need volunteers from across the continent. This is ADAM’s mission since it was formed and therefore ADAM is the only Diaspora Association in Canada that reached out to the government of Canada and requested that the next 20,000 refugees come from the African continent. Since this is the mission of our organization, we all have to come together and help 35 of our brothers and sisters to settle well here. At the moment we do need at least 50 volunteers ready to help when our brother and sisters arrive.
If you or someone you know, is willing to volunteer even if it’s just two hours per week, please send your contact to email@example.com or drop by the office on 3200 Kempt road. We thank you in advance for all your help.
Here’s what you expected to take on.
- Each volunteer in-charge will only deal with one family at the time
- Pick new arrivals from the airport to their residence.
- Introduce them public transportation.
- Take them to the NS Health card office in Burnside
- Take them to the Social Insurance Number office on Quinpool Road
- Take them to the English Language Assessment office on Quinpool Road
- Help them with doctors’ appointments.
- Take them to the In-take office and Employment offices – ISANS.
- Introduce them to the city in general.
- Register children for school.
- Any other activities as needed.